* I own a high-end 2008 laptop (with a video card that was considered solid then) that can reasonably run strategy games, RPGs, and older games, but it certainly wouldn't successfully run a game like Crysis 2, and generally speaking games primarily developed for consoles and games with high graphic requirements send this computer on the fritz. Even Empire: Total War runs like **** (but Medieval II and Rome are fine.) The original Mass Effect plays fine, but Mass Effect 2 is borderline.
* I can't afford to spend more than $30 right now. Maybe $40 if the game is phenomenal, but $50 is outside my jurisdiction.
* I prefer strategy games, adventure games, and RPGs. "Games I enjoy most" on my PC include Civ 4 (which I prefer over Civ 5), KOTOR, Company of Heroes, old-school Might and Magic games, and anything Total War.
* I tend to not enjoy games without any narrative cohesion -- a prime example of an objectively good game that I enjoy less than most others would be Minecraft.
* I prefer single-player over multiplayer.
Any recommendations for solid Steam purchases?
The Legend of Snake: http://tinyurl.com/3cal86z
The LoS Instruction Manual: http://tinyurl.com/3jlax8h