Xbox Gamepass updates structure and pricing.

Current Events

Page of 2
Current Events » Xbox Gamepass updates structure and pricing.
Asherlee10 posted...
Streaming is inevitable, though. I think if the film and tv industry can figure out how to create huge profits with straight-to-streaming models, then so can the gaming industry.
Aren't most streaming services still not making their money back?
Wrestling fans are the worst thing about being a wrestling fan.
Dark_twisted posted...

That is true. Streaming is unsustainable as it currently is. But you can't put the genie back in the bottle.
http://i.imgur.com/vDci4hD.gif
Asherlee10 posted...
Streaming is inevitable, though. I think if the film and tv industry can figure out how to create huge profits with straight-to-streaming models, then so can the gaming industry.

The problem is that movies and tv... haven't. It's a smoke and mirrors game.

That said, there probably is a sustainable model that can be achieved. I'm not sure what the resulting games under that model look like (probably mtx nightmares or parallels to mobile gaming, if we're being honest), though
Variable General Veeg, at your service
Dark_twisted posted...

That's because it's too fragmented. Everyone expects Netflix-like service but you can't get that without Netflix-like infrastructure. Unfortunately for these companies, the price of the infrastructure is the same whether they have Netflix-like subscribers or not. These media companies are going to have to get their heads out of their asses and consolidate and/or license their properties out to other services instead of trying to be the next Netflix.
It says right here in Matthew 16:4 "Jesus doth not need a giant Mecha."
https://i.imgur.com/dQgC4kv.jpg
Watch out guys there will be some freak who will come in here with archived posts from months ago and harass you endlessly until you get modded while they get to just keep doing that kind of thing.

Real big Microsoft shill.
"There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust." - Pinbacker
Kaldrenthebold posted...
Game pass has been and will continue to be a scam.
And you say this from your own experience as a [former] GP subscriber?

Asherlee10 posted...
I guess I'm in the minority here. I love GP and get so much use out of it. It has introduced me to games I would have never tried before.
This is the type of use that GP's service was designed for.

Yazarogi posted...
Real big Microsoft shill.
So, "factually accurate post history" is shilling? Thank goodness no other posters on CE would do such a thing. :P
'~'
Tyranthraxus posted...
That's because it's too fragmented. Everyone expects Netflix-like service but you can't get that without Netflix-like infrastructure. Unfortunately for these companies, the price of the infrastructure is the same whether they have Netflix-like subscribers or not. These media companies are going to have to get their heads out of their asses and consolidate and/or license their properties out to other services instead of trying to be the next Netflix.
Agreed. I'd love to have access to some of the shows and movies on platforms like Paramount and Max, but adding both of those is another $24 a month (no ads), when I'm already paying for Netflix, Disney, Hulu and Amazon. They're stretching consumers thin and expecting the same huge profits.
Steam/Xbox/PSN = NoxObscuras
https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561198372263559/#sort=order
He's here. Everyone just ignore the Microsoft shill. He will harass you.
"There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust." - Pinbacker
Makeveli_lives posted...
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1810803594280718554?s=46&t=MclOgjiC_DZiKahxLVoZDg

Day 1 releases now limited to ultimate instead of standard game pass.

Good thing I have Ultimate.
I'm not here for friends. I'm here for the truth to the best of my knowledge of it, even if it's not what people want to hear.
Good thing I have playstation.
3DS FC: 0619-4850-3479 IGN: AlmaDelita
good thing i have...

uhhh

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/forum/5/5613ca84.jpg
The shoe is on the hand it fits
There's really nothing much to it
The biggest issue with Game Pass is that Microsoft doesn't really have a clear-cut goal or vision towards growing the platform and making it appeal to potentially millions of new customers who want to get into gaming. Game Pass is only appealing if you're a hardcore gamer that happens to mainly be in the Xbox ecosystem, and willing to pay a pricey subscription for a library that mainly consists of AA and indie games.

It still blows my mind how they haven't introduced a budget device meant for Xbox Cloud Gaming. To my knowledge they've cancelled at least two hardware projects along those lines.
Thanks for reading!
CRON posted...
It still blows my mind how they haven't introduced a budget device meant for Xbox Cloud Gaming. To my knowledge they've cancelled at least two hardware projects along those lines.

They're probably going to go with a software based approach. There's not any real way to get people to commit to a set top box that is just Xcloud. But like if they can put it on Chromecasts and Chromebooks that's a different story.
Tyranthraxus posted...
They're probably going to go with a software based approach. There's not any real way to get people to commit to a set top box that is just Xcloud. But like if they can put it on Chromecasts and Chromebooks that's a different story.
There's a huge market for casual gamers who want more than the standard Candy Crush/mobile experience but buying a whole console or gaming PC isn't viable. MS' goal should be revitalizing the Xbox brand and introducing it to new customers since it's already in bad shape.
Thanks for reading!
Post #65 was unavailable or deleted.
andri_g posted...
And you say this from your own experience as a [former] GP subscriber?

This is the type of use that GP's service was designed for.

So, "factually accurate post history" is shilling? Thank goodness no other posters on CE would do such a thing. :P

No, as a software developer seeing the bleeding practices used like these "subscription" services permeating literally every aspect of life. I don't like it here just like I don't like multiple businesses now requiring rolling year long contractual licenses instead of life time ones.

And all it does is cause game developers to end up not making money cause no one buys their games. Cool, they got a fat check from MS. But their game has zero legs or traction cause it is just a blip in a sea of stuff that no one has the time in the slightest to actually utilize.

Good for you for taking advantage of it. When that ladder fully comes up behind you I'm sure you will appreciate the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars you've spent while not actually owning a singular thing.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/chocolateFRESH/arts/kraid.png - Thanks GP cosmonaut!
http://i.imgur.com/TuJWAR8.jpg
Kaldrenthebold posted...
And all it does is cause game developers to end up not making money cause no one buys their games. Cool, they got a fat check from MS. But their game has zero legs or traction cause it is just a blip in a sea of stuff that no one has the time in the slightest to actually utilize.

This line of thinking has never been legitimate criticism against Gamepass or other game streaming services, simply because it implies that had the game not gone to Gamepass, it would have gone on to be a huge success and made it's development budget back and then some, which simply isn't the case.

Microsoft doesn't force third party developers to put their games on Gamepass, it's an option they're given, and one they're likely to take if they know an IP may not be as successful as they hope, or wanted to take a risk on something that may not catch on.

The argument also falls apart when many third party games launch on other platforms, such as Steam, as well. It's not an all or nothing scenario for many of these developers, and I'm sure that they understand that the risk and cost benefit far more than random GameFAQ posters like you and I.

Gamepass and platforms like it aren't hurting game developers, it's over inflated budgets and console exclusives that are - Just take look at the Final Fantasy series and SE for a perfect example of that.
-Insert witty signature here-
[deleted]
CRON posted...

A budget device wouldn't be powerful enough. The main reason a steam deck is good is because everyone's on steam to begin with anyway

Nobody (or at least, not enough people as to make it worthwhile) are going to pick up a 500+ dollar handheld plus subscription fee to even use the thing at all

Bladesyphon posted...
Gamepass and platforms like it aren't hurting game developers, it's over inflated budgets and console exclusives that are - Just take look at the Final Fantasy series and SE for a perfect example of that.

When the stated reason multiple gamepass-launching studios have shuttered and franchises deemed failures is "they didn't sell well", it would seem to be hurting.
Voidgolem posted...
A budget device wouldn't be powerful enough. The main reason a steam deck is good is because everyone's on steam to begin with anyway

Nobody (or at least, not enough people as to make it worthwhile) are going to pick up a 500+ dollar handheld plus subscription fee to even use the thing at all

When the stated reason multiple gamepass-launching studios have shuttered and franchises deemed failures is "they didn't sell well", it would seem to be hurting.

Yeah I'm trying to find an article but there's plenty of companies making their money back and not much else, and because it is just a drop in a bucket "showing value" then the brand doesn't exactly grow and that is more or less the end of that.

In the end, I don't like Game Pass. Similarly to how cable TV has been now replaced by numerous services that you must subscribe for separately, and with how physical media is being slowly phased out, thinking of a future where every console maker only has a subscription service for games because MS decided to pave the shitty way (again) that others will follow, frankly sucks.

They did it with paying for online, and they are doing it for subscription services. "Good value right now!" means atrocious value later. Bank on it.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/chocolateFRESH/arts/kraid.png - Thanks GP cosmonaut!
http://i.imgur.com/TuJWAR8.jpg
Just purchased another year of Core, but this time for $24.55.

Wish I looked at the India price earlier.
CRON posted...
There's a huge market for casual gamers who want more than the standard Candy Crush/mobile experience but buying a whole console or gaming PC isn't viable. MS' goal should be revitalizing the Xbox brand and introducing it to new customers since it's already in bad shape.

It's a little ridiculous to keep describing the mobile gaming market as Candy Crush. There's all kinds of hardcore/mid/casual games on mobile. In fact they just bought the studio that makes one of the biggest ones out there right now.

They also have their cloud apps on mobile already.

The way the mobile gaming market is monetized is a bit different though. For some reason, people will drop $600+ on a phone no problem but ask them to buy a $10 game and suddenly its a major life financial decision. By large mobile gaming audiences just will not download a game unless it's free.
Asherlee10 posted...
I guess I'm in the minority here. I love GP and get so much use out of it. It has introduced me to games I would have never tried before.

You're not alone. I pay off a whole year's worth in about a month of games played.

But XBox is pretty much hated on this board. Anything about it is going to be trashed. I mean, this board has been saying XBox has been dying for about 5 years now. People get a perverse pleasure in anticipating its downfall because losing a major competitor is always good for an industry!
Been a supporter of xbox since day 1. After last generation I have given up a d am strictly playstation now.
Italian, French, German.
WingsOfGood posted...
Lol. Are you serious?
Video games are notoriously thin in terms of profit margins. The real revenue comes from micro transactions and merchandise and stuff like that.

And games are more expensive than ever. Gone are the days when a AAA title can go from concept to finish product in a few years, were now at the point where the most extreme examples are looking at a decade of development before a product hits the market.
Switch FC: SW-3917-4425-6106
PSN: PiKappaPhi769
*conceptually* I like game pass. It's a fantastic idea for particular types of low commitment games that might not thrive in a "hey buy this nothing roguelike you'll play for five hours for 7 dollars on the steam front page before it gets buried by EA dropping 27 dlc packs and a flood of shovelware"

It is a very bad fit for big expensive games, system sellers, or anything with a dev team more than like 2 people, simply because there is no way you're making enough money off game pass subs to actually fund a 150-million dollar AAA like they keep putting on there to die
They're now saying it might take up to a year for games to hit the Standard subscription tier
https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1811064085116600425
Thanks for reading!
Wow that's terrible. They're forcing a 6-12 month time gate on people that don't want to pay extra.
NoxObscuras posted...
Wow that's terrible. They're forcing a 6-12 month time gate on people that don't want to pay extra.

Seems like it's better to just drop the low tier sub and just get the games at retail if you're only doing it for Day 1 AAA.

It's not like Microsoft makes that many.
Good luck to everyone trying to buy cheap codes while they are still available, sellers are probably scrambling right now to raise their prices after the news. I myself just got burned on a 12 month code listed for $90 on eBay (he said it was out of stock, apologized, refunded, and then relisted for $150).
(he/him)
"The hopeless don't revolt, because revolution is an act of hope."
randy_123r posted...
Does PC Gamepass get Day One releases?
Yes. It is far and away the best option if you have a good PC
Wrestling fans are the worst thing about being a wrestling fan.
Tyranthraxus posted...
Seems like it's better to just drop the low tier sub and just get the games at retail if you're only doing it for Day 1 AAA.

It's not like Microsoft makes that many.
They have a ton of new games in the pipeline now though. Probably why they're doing this now. Hoping the upcoming games make more people upgrade to ultimate tier
Post #83 was unavailable or deleted.
Its still a really good deal tbqh, but price increases are just always a turn off
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?
Galatians 4:16
And here is where the irony lies...

Kaldrenthebold posted...
No, as a software developer seeing the bleeding practices used like these "subscription" services permeating literally every aspect of life. I don't like it here just like I don't like multiple businesses now requiring rolling year long contractual licenses instead of life time ones.
I agree that purchase pricing for lease-only rentals through paid subscriptions is not a good fit for console games.

What's your main criticism of a GP-style service (pick one): release compensation, promotion, cost, or ownership?

Good for you for taking advantage of it. When that ladder fully comes up behind you I'm sure you will appreciate the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars you've spent while not actually owning a singular thing.
I can't say that I'll never buy a DD game but, currently, *all* of the games I've ever bought are physical copies.

However, there are more people who play today and who demand convenience from their games; everything else is a secondary concern.

Yazarogi posted...
He's here.
Who? Where? :O

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/forum/0/0df3766b.jpg

[ Btw, I have at least one system from each Big-3 console developer released since the 90s (not Atari's Jaguar). ]
'~'
Sucks, but its not like this is worse than the joke that is PS+.
Hmm...
They nerfed the conversion rates for Core to Ultimate from 3:2 to 3:1 if you already have an active GamePass sub. For example 12 months of Core converts to 4 months of Ultimate if your sub still has time on it.
"It was horrible," guard Jeff McInnis said.
"I took 100 naps and we were still in the air."
ExtremeLuchador posted...
They nerfed the conversion rates for Core to Ultimate from 3:2 to 3:1 if you already have an active GamePass sub. For example 12 months of Core converts to 4 months of Ultimate if your sub still has time on it.
Yeah.

Made that mistake earlier today.

Thought I purchased 2 years of basic Core.

Instead they converted it to a few extra months of Ultimate.

Oops. :/
Current Events » Xbox Gamepass updates structure and pricing.
Page of 2