who was your favorite WCW wrestler?

Current Events

Page of 2
Current Events » who was your favorite WCW wrestler?
mine was DDP, dude didn't have the greatest moveset, but everytime he was in the ring he gave you a good show.
THRILLHO
Probably Chris Kanyon, honestly. Maybe Ultimo Dragon or Psicosis, but they feel less "WCW wrestler" because they competed so many places, at the time.
Seplito Nash, Smelling Like the Vault since 1996
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
For entertainment purposes, scott steiner
Vacant, Vacant,
Texas Rangers, Kansas City Chiefs, Real Madrid #1 Fan
StealThisSheen posted...
Probably Kanyon, honestly.

he was also awesome. every match i remember him being in he did something you didn't see before
THRILLHO
ironman2009 posted...
he was also awesome. every match i remember him being in he did something you didn't see before

Dude was amazing. His story is so sad.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
ShineboxPhil posted...
For entertainment purposes, scott steiner

big poppa pump steiner was fuckin wild lol
THRILLHO
I miss WCW. The actual wrestling content wasn't typically as good, outside of when matches involved some of the better workers, or the luchador matches, but it just had this... Campy, retro feel, that you never really got out of WWE.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
Based purely off WCW/NWO Revenge, Konnan.
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame
the cruiserweights for WCW were great. they changed how wrestling could be done imo. those guys were doing things and telling stories in the ring i never saw before that.
THRILLHO
Shotgunnova posted...
Based purely off WCW/NWO Revenge, Konnan.

Ooh, good answer. Konnan was basically Mexico's Hulk Hogan, at the time. It's crazy how much he moved ratings, since you would have never really guessed, based on how they used him.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
ironman2009 posted...
the cruiserweights for WCW were great. they changed how wrestling could be done imo. those guys were doing things and telling stories in the ring i never saw before that.

The fun thing with WCW was you got to see some of them grow, too. Like, you had many that were fantastic from the beginning. Mysterio, Liger, Dragon, Psicosis, La Parka, etc. They were already big names. But seeing somebody like Billy Kidman grow from Weekly Jobber to being the talent he ended up being was just fun to watch.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
i always liked the goofy dudes like alex wright, early chris jericho and guys like regal and eddie and melinko too
THRILLHO
Konnan was a bit stale by 2000 though. Even the WWF didn't take him when they had a brief chance to get him.
"It was horrible," guard Jeff McInnis said.
"I took 100 naps and we were still in the air."
Sting
See profile pic
ironman2009 posted...
big poppa pump steiner was fuckin wild lol

https://youtu.be/jLmLQyPezWg
Vacant, Vacant,
Texas Rangers, Kansas City Chiefs, Real Madrid #1 Fan
ironman2009 posted...
i always liked the goofy dudes like alex wright, early chris jericho and guys like regal and eddie and melinko too

I loved all of those. Regal, Eddie, and Malenko were just fantastic wrestlers, period. Jericho absolutely grew into something great. Even Alex Wright was insanely athletic and gifted, he just never got the chance because they refused to push him, and... When they finally did, it was as "Berlin," which was a gimmick nobody could have got over.

I honestly loved Wright and Disco as the Dancing Fools.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
NWO Hogan
yeah WCW always made those mid card guys seem better than the mid card in WWF/WWE imo. people like the cat and norman smiley while never were great they always had a role
THRILLHO
Scott Steiner, Booker T, Diamond Dallas Page
Thanks for reading!
ironman2009 posted...
yeah WCW always made those mid card guys seem better than the mid card in WWF/WWE better imo. people like the cat and norman smiley while never were great they always had a role

Oh geez, Stormin' Norman. I loved when Smiley went "hardcore" and started coming out in hockey pads. The Cat was also pretty good.

That said, hot take, but my favorite Ernest "The Cat" Miller moment actually is from WWE. It's when he entered the Royal Rumble, and everybody was down, so he got in the ring and just danced to his music until somebody got up and tossed him out. It was just so absurd, but it fit his character so well.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
iirc norman smiley works for wwe now as a talent trainer
THRILLHO
ironman2009 posted...
iirc norman smiley works for wwe now as a talent trainer

Yeah, a lot of WCW people do/did. Malenko and Kidman also. I don't know if they still do.

EDIT: Oh, turns out Malenko works for AEW now, actually. Interesting. Kidman still works for WWE.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
If I had to pick just one, I'd probably say Rey Mysterio. But I also liked DDP, Sting, Goldberg, and a bunch of the other cruiserweights.
https://i.imgur.com/PmF1p9q.jpg
Surfer Sting
Dean Malenko
By Grabthar's Hammer....what a savings.
Chavo Jr.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVhRWBGOZ0
Disco Inferno and Alex Wright.
Best damn game about Ninja http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/ninjagolf/ninjagolf-flashgame.php
it's a damn shame how shittily WCW died out. the management/hogan/nash fucked that all up
THRILLHO
ironman2009 posted...
it's a damn shame how shittily WCW died out. the management/hogan/nash fucked that all up

To be fair to Nash, he made a damn good point about what may have truly killed WCW:

Nash points out the financial structures behind the scenes, specifically the role of Turner Home Entertainment.

"If you ever watched a WCW pay-per-view, the last credit youd see was 'Produced by Turner Home Entertainment,'" Nash explains. He argues that Turner Home Entertainment's control over the lucrative pay-per-view revenue, which never reflected on WCWs books, was a significant financial drain.

"Our biggest revenue was from the pay-per-views, and all of that went into Turner Home Entertainments accounts, not ours," Nash reveals. He also mentions Brad Seigels comments about the pressures of building a premium cable channel, suggesting that WCW was burdened with financial strategies that were detrimental to its health.

According to Nash, it wasn't just the storylines or leadership conflicts that tanked WCW, but also "creative accounting" practices that destabilized the promotions financial foundation.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
How are we defining "WCW wrestler"? Someone who just competed in the WCW, or someone's career is directly associated with WCW?

Like, Eddie and Chris Jericho would probably be my immediate no thought picks, but they both worked extensively outside the WCW and I think both achieved their most success in the WWF. Ditto for Ultimo but...you know...not the WWF part.

Purely WCW guy, I gotta go with Kanyon.
https://www.discogs.com/user/Nocoasts
Scott Hall or Diamond Dallas Page. Raven and several cruiserweights get the nod as well but those two were tops.
If I'm having a bad day I will do what's necessary to see to it that you will be too.
i mean giving everybody guaranteed millions would do that i suppose
THRILLHO
BrohammedAli posted...
How are we defining "WCW wrestler"? Someone who just competed in the WCW, or someone's career is directly associated with WCW?

Like, Eddie and Chris Jericho would probably be my immediate no thought picks, but they both worked extensively outside the WCW and I think both achieved their most success in the WWF. Ditto for Ultimo but...you know...not the WWF part.

i'd say that got their "start" there. like they first started getting noticed i suppose.
THRILLHO
BrohammedAli posted...

Yeah, that gave me pause, which is why I went with Kanyon, too. I'd say you could argue a "WCW wrestler" as somebody who either got their start/big break in WCW, or had their career highlights in WCW. While Eddie and Jericho started in WCW, they definitely had bigger career highlights in WWE, so it makes it tough to count them. Same thing for Ultimo, but... Yeah, not WWE, for him.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
Do you know who is an extremely interesting case for argument of whether he's a "WCW wrestler" or not, if going by the criteria I outlined? Big Show.

He's absolutely famously known as The Giant, but he arguably had more actual success in WWE. I feel like you could have a very long discussion about him. Especially since, even beyond wrestling, he goes by "Big Show." Such as when he had the short-lived Big Show Show.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
StealThisSheen posted...
Do you know who is an extremely interesting case for argument of whether he's a "WCW wrestler" or not, if going by the criteria I outlined? Big Show.

He's absolutely famously known as The Giant, but he arguably had more actual success in WWE. I feel like you could have a very long discussion about him. Especially since, even beyond wrestling, he goes by "Big Show." Such as when he had the short-lived Big Show Show.

when i think big show, the first memory of him i have is him getting tossed off that roof by hogan in that weird roof match or whatever it was. i think there were monster trucks?
THRILLHO
ironman2009 posted...
when i think big show, the first memory of him i have is him getting tossed off that roof by hogan in that weird roof match or whatever it was. i think there were monster trucks?

Oh god, I remember that! They had a monster truck tug of war before they got out and started fighting on the roof. It was so dumb, but dammit, young me loved it. That was the kind of campiness I loved.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
It's also hard saying that Jericho or Eddie got their start in WCW, because they were both just poached from ECW. Which is what makes the conversation really difficult because so many of those midcard guys that were working above their booking were coming off arguably higher quality matches from ECW or Japan.
BrohammedAli posted...
It's also hard saying that Jericho or Eddie got their start in WCW, because they were both just poached from ECW. Which is what makes the conversation really difficult because so many of those midcard guys that were working above their booking were coming off arguably higher quality matches from ECW or Japan.

true, i have a hard time telling who started in ECW. i didn't really start following that until 97 or so. dudes like lance storm, jerry lynn, mike awesome all got their burn from ECW
THRILLHO
Post #39 was unavailable or deleted.
Sting for sure.

Ricky Steamboat had some great matches in WCW as well
My alt is my new main
StealThisSheen posted...

Nah, Show is definitely a WWE guy if we're drawing lines. His time in WCW is acknowledged, but i think you'd be hard pressed to find any real highlights of his career during that time. Outside of getting power bombed by Nash, his career was with the E.

The real argument would be Booker T. While he had big moments in WWE, he had a long and notable career in WCW. Going from a tag team, to mid card, to main eventer.

As for TC's question, mysterio, juvetued, kanyon ddp, booker t.
WCW had the pyro game on lock for a while too. they were giving everybody pyro
THRILLHO
Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho. I was a big fan of the cruiserweights in general though.
https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561198052113750
I started WCW when Bret Hart left WWF. It was fun learning all these new wrestlers, and seeing all the 80s/90s WWF stars still in action.

Liked Booker T, Malenko, Benoit, Mysterio, DDP.

Can never forget the West Texas Rednecks. Hilarious that their anti-rap messaging made them faces.
Probably Raven
This is my signature.
Perry Saturn
Why be stupid? Does it make you happy to be stupid?
one thing i didn't like about WCW was their commentary except for bobby the brain. never liked any of those other guys.
THRILLHO
I do think this is probably my fav WCW match tho

Vader vs Cactus Jack (Apr 30th, 1994)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbKYwXj-8ic
unmasked Rey Mysterio
Big Apple, 3 A.M.
http://error1355.com/ce/SSJGrimReaper.html
Link_of_time posted...
Nah, Show is definitely a WWE guy if we're drawing lines. His time in WCW is acknowledged, but i think you'd be hard pressed to find any real highlights of his career during that time. Outside of getting power bombed by Nash, his career was with the E.

The real argument would be Booker T. While he had big moments in WWE, he had a long and notable career in WCW. Going from a tag team, to mid card, to main eventer.

As for TC's question, mysterio, juvetued, kanyon ddp, booker t.

Actually, yeah, screw it, you're right. As great as Booker T was in WWE, everything from Harlem Heat to his single's run was fantastic, in WCW.

EDIT: Also, Harlem Heat still, to this day, have one of the greatest entrance themes in professional wrestling.
Step FOUR! Get Paid!
Current Events » who was your favorite WCW wrestler?
Page of 2